Highly Interactive Training
NISL combines direct instruction with interactive methods such as Socratic questioning, group discussions, role playing, case studies, and simulations to impart a thorough understanding of the leadership characteristics and behaviors needed in today’s schools. Through this highly interactive program, principals learn to align their schools' curriculum frameworks, instructional materials, and teaching strategies, as well as to foster an ethical culture in their schools.
Focus on Instructional Leadership
From the opening unit to the close of the training, participants in NISL’s Executive Development Program identify, analyze, and address the major challenges that school leaders face. The NISL curriculum focuses on instructional leadership within a standards-based context, helping principals:
- Develop strategic and systemic processes for sustained school improvement;
- Empower instructional leadership teams;
- Build and sustain a collaborative learning culture and a shared decision-making structure in their schools;
- Coach teachers about how to use data in order to enrich classroom instruction;
- Increase the effectiveness of student improvement plans; and
- Create an ethical culture of high achievement.
The course curriculum includes 14 units, two simulations, and at least one targeted Institute. Participants spend roughly two days of class time on each unit.
Course 1: World-Class Schooling: Vision and Goals
Course 2: Focusing on Teaching and Learning
|Phase Bridging Institutes|
Course 3: Developing Capacity and Commitment
Course 4: Driving for Results